Intelligently reopen files at your last edit position. By default git, svn, and mercurial commit messages are ignored because you probably want to type a new message and not re-edit the previous one.
Advantages over the snippets that can be found around the net include:
- Commit messages automatically start at the beginning of a file. This is important because many version control systems re-use the same file for commit message editing.
- Maximizes Available Context
- Center the cursor vertically after restoring last edit position.
- Keep as much of the file on screen as possible when last edit position is at the end of the file.
- Opens folds if the last edit position is inside a fold.
- Works properly with new file templates and scripts that jump to a specific line in them.
You can use pathogen.vim or other plugin managers to install and use vim-lastplace.
cd ~/.vim/bundle git clone git://github.com/farmergreg/vim-lastplace.git
Depending on which Vim package you're using, Vim may be preconfigured with
last-edit-position logic that doesn't work quite as well as vim-lastplace.
If so, you may want to disable that in favor of vim-lastplace. For example,
for Vim as packaged with Git for Windows, you can edit
C:\Program Files\Git\etc\vimrc and comment out the "Remember positions in files"
autocmd BufReadPost * block.
You can configure what file types to ignore by setting g:lastplace_ignore in your vimrc. This is a comma separated list. By default it is set to:
let g:lastplace_ignore = "gitcommit,gitrebase,svn,hgcommit"
You can configure buffer types to ignore by setting g:lastplace_ignore_buftype in your vimrc. This is a comma separated list. By default it is set to:
let g:lastplace_ignore_buftype = "quickfix,nofile,help"
Folds are automatically opened when jumping to the last edit position. If you do not like this behavior you can disable it by putting this in your vimrc:
let g:lastplace_open_folds = 0
This plugin is complete and stable. Please do not be afraid to try it even if there is very little recent activity in this repository. If you do find a bug, please submit a pull request that fixes whatever problem you're having.
vim-lastplace uses semver to manage version numbers.
- Add 'nofile' and 'help' to lastplace_ignore_buftype. (Issue #14)
- Do not jump when a new file is created (Issue #15, #16)
- Add g:lastplace_ignore_buftype setting.
- Update github links from username dietsche to farmergreg.
- Add g:lastplace_open_folds option.
- Point release for Debian packaging. Changes all http links to https. No code changes.
- A fix for files that are smaller than the current screen size (issue #8)
- A fix for files with modelines.
- Open folds if the last edited area is inside a closed fold.
- Add gitrebase filetype to the ignore list.
- Center the screen when restoring the cursor position.
- When at the end of a file, keep as much of it on screen as possible.
- Initial version.
- Author : Gregory L. Dietsche
- Web Page: https://www.gregd.org/
Get the latest version, submit pull requests, and file bug reports on GitHub:
If you like this plugin, please star and rate it on these sites: